Large blast in Afghan capital targets international compound

Presidential spokesman Sediq Seddiqi speaks during a press conference in Kabul, Afghanistan, Monday, Sept. 2, 2019. A U.S. envoy showed the draft of a U.S.-Taliban agreement to Afghan leaders on Monday after declaring they were “at the threshold” of a deal to end America’s longest war, officials said. Seddiqi told reporters the Afghan government likely would take a “couple of days” to study the deal. (AP Photo/Rahmat Gul)

Large blast in Afghan capital targets international compound while US envoy visits Kabul

KABUL, Afghanistan — A large explosion rocked the Afghan capital Monday night, targeting an area home to several international organizations and guesthouses, officials said. The blast came just hours after a U.S. envoy briefed the Afghan government on plans for the first 5,000 U.S. troops to leave Afghanistan within five months' time under a deal with the Taliban that's been reached "in principle" but still needs President Donald Trump's approval.

Interior Ministry spokesman Nasrat Rahmi confirmed that the Green Village compound was the target of the blast, which sent a plume of smoke into the night sky over Kabul. Another interior ministry official, Bahar Maher, told the local TOLO news channel that the blast was caused by a car bomb.

There was no immediate word of casualties.

The Green Village has been a frequent target of attacks. Many foreigners live in the compound, which is heavily guarded by Afghan forces and private security guards.

The compound was also targeted by a suicide car bomber in January who killed at least four people and wounded scores. That blast also occurred when the U.S. envoy, Zalmay Khalilzad, was visiting the capital to brief the Afghan government on his negotiations with the Taliban on ending America's longest war.

Earlier on Monday, Khalilzad showed the draft U.S.-Taliban to the Afghan president after declaring that they are "at the threshold of an agreement."

Khalilzad has met twice with President Ashraf Ghani after arriving Sunday evening from Qatar, where the ninth round of U.S.-Taliban talks ended. However, reflecting the sensitivity of the negotiations and the Afghan government's sidelined role in the talks so far, it was not clear whether Ghani was given the draft to keep.

"We have reached an agreement with the Taliban in principle but of course until the U.S. president agrees with it, it isn't final," Khalilzad told the local TOLO news channel. He said that under the deal, the first 5,000 U.S. troops would withdraw within 135 days from five bases in Afghanistan. Between 14,000 and 13,000 troops are currently in the country.

Trump last week told Fox News the U.S. plans to reduce its troop presence to 8,600 and then "make a determination from there." He has been eager to withdraw troops before next year's election and the draft deal easily meets that deadline.

The reduction would bring troop levels down to roughly where they were when Trump took office in January 2017.

A further troop withdrawal is expected to depend on the Taliban meeting conditions of the deal, including a reduction in violence.

The Taliban are at their strongest since the U.S.-led invasion to topple their government after the Sept. 11, 2001 attacks on the United States, and now control or hold sway over roughly half the country.

For its part, the U.S. seeks Taliban assurances that Afghanistan will not be a safe haven for extremist groups to plan and launch global terror attacks.

The Taliban have stepped up attacks in recent months to strengthen their negotiating position. The United Nations and others say Afghan civilians have suffered, often caught in the crossfire as government forces, backed by the U.S., have pursued the militants with airstrikes and raids. Afghanistan was the world's deadliest conflict in 2018.

Afghan presidential spokesman Sediq Seddiqi told reporters the government would study the deal to make sure it addresses the goals of a lasting ceasefire and direct talks with the Taliban in the near future. "It will take couple of days, probably, that we will get back to them and give them our observations," he said.

A deal on ending nearly 18 years of fighting is closer to reality, even as the Taliban attacked the capitals of Kunduz and Baghlan provinces in the north over the weekend. Violence continued in Kunduz on Monday as a suicide bomber targeted a police checkpoint and killed at least four officers and wounded 17 people, including 10 civilians, said provincial health director Esanullah Fazeli.

The Afghan government has been shut out of the U.S.-Taliban negotiations, as the militant group dismisses it as a U.S. puppet, but intra-Afghan talks that include the government are meant to follow a U.S.-Taliban deal. The Kabul government says its negotiating team is ready but refuses to say who is on it.

The Taliban want all of the estimated 20,000 U.S. and NATO forces to leave Afghanistan and already portray their departure as the insurgents' victory.

"We are on the verge of ending the invasion and reaching a peaceful solution for Afghanistan," the Taliban spokesman in Qatar, Suhail Shaheen, said over the weekend.

A U.S. official with Khalilzad's negotiation team recently said that "any potential peace deal will not be based on blind trust, but will instead contain clear commitments that are subject to our monitoring and verification." The official spoke on condition of anonymity because they were not authorized to discuss the matter with the media.

The official added that a deal would lead to "intra-Afghan negotiations where the Taliban will sit with other Afghans and together they will commit to a permanent and comprehensive ceasefire."

___

Associated Press writer Kathy Gannon in Guelph, Canada, contributed.

Related News

Taliban suicide attacks, shootout kill 16 in...

Mar 2, 2017

Twin Taliban suicide bombings and a shootout with Afghan security forces that followed one of the...

At least one dead, 35 wounded in Kabul...

Mar 1, 2017

US-AFGHANISTAN-BLAST-CASUALTIES:At least one dead, 35 wounded in Kabul attacks-Afghan official

Taliban claim attacks in Afghan capital, at least...

Mar 1, 2017

US-AFGHANISTAN-BLAST:Taliban claim attacks in Afghan capital, at least 15 dead

Taliban claim attacks in Afghan capital, at least...

Mar 1, 2017

US-AFGHANISTAN-BLAST:Taliban claim attacks in Afghan capital, at least 15 dead

Death toll from Afghanistan attacks climbs to 22

Mar 2, 2017

The Afghan Health Ministry says the death toll from simultaneous suicide bombings in the capital...

Afghan women fencers aim to parry prejudice

Mar 8, 2017

US-WOMENS-DAY-AFGHANISTAN-FENCING:Afghan women fencers aim to parry prejudice

About Us

Get yourself immersed in engaging topics right here. Daily World Feed is a multi-platform media, providing you latest breaking news straight from the industry.

Contact us: sales[at]dailyworldfeed.com

Subscribe Now!